One of my best friends is training with her gym to qualify for the CrossFit Games. I’m serious! And I’m so proud of her. In addition to, what you can probably imagine is, a rigorous workout plan, she is on a very intense diet. By the way, she is a nurse who works 3 12-hour shifts a week and she STILL finds a way to work in a workout EVERYday- girl is my hero! Since today officially marks exactly one month until my 30th birthday I figure, why not – I’m going to try it…well a version of this diet/exercise plan.
SO, part of the plan is to limit the amount of grains/breads Mr. Darcy and I are eating – not low carbs but, well, low snacks (No chips, crackers, breads, etc. I can still eat fruits and a limited amount of dairy – which is easy since I have a slight intolerance to dairy). My grocery shopping spree yesterday involved getting ingredients for my girlfriend’s GO-TO lunch/dinner: No Bread Pizza
- 2 packages of Ground Turkey (Italian Sausage Flavored) – OK, I actually just got ground turkey and seasoned it with Italian Seasoning and garlic because I made the mistake of comparing the amount of sodium in the Italian sausage flavored ground turkey (there is over 600MG – WOW). This definitely makes a huge difference in flavor so if sodium does not turn you off, I’d recommend going with the Italian Sausage Flavored ground turkey because Mr. Darcy did not like this dish (PERIOD).
- Red Pepper
- Mozzarella Cheese (You can use skim/low fat too)
- Jar of pizza sauce – Boboli
- Any other veggies you like to put on a pizza – I put mushrooms and jalapenos (of course) on as well
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees
- Flatten the Ground Turkey on a lipped cookie sheet or pizza sheet
- Lightly brush the pizza sauce over top of turkey (aka Meat crust)
- Place preferred sliced/diced veggies on “meat pizza”
- Cook for 20-30 minutes (remove from oven and drain fat)
- sprinkle pizza with cheese & turn oven to broil
- Broil the pizza until cheese is browning
- TOP PIZZA WITH AVOCADO – you need more fat to make it feel more filling
THE SKINNY – It tastes skinny. BUT it was filling and flavorful. Mr. Darcy was not a huge fan. I wish I had a photo for you, BUT it really didn’t look pretty. Let’s be honest, it is a meat crusted pizza. Do you need more explanation?
NOW, I was set on redeeming myself in Mr. Darcy’s eyes. I went on Pinterest to also find a healthy but delicious option for a protein filled breakfast and I found these Spinach and Cheese Muffins: http://blog.sigsiv.com/2010/09/spinach-and-cheese-egg-muffins-south-beach-diet-phase-1-breakfast.html
I wasn’t following the recipe very closely so I had a little extra (you’ll see below I had to make 2 muffins with just cheese and eggs/egg whites) but they were SUPER tasty. I was excited to see these baked as if they were true muffins…even though they are made of only eggs, egg whites, a little bit of milk, cheese and veggies! And LOOK, these look MUCH prettier:
I tried one of the egg and cheese ones just to make sure the texture would suffice for a breakfast and, well, IT WILL!!! VERY good! Unfortunately I only took one bite of a reheated egg muffin this morning and forgot it on the counter as I rushed out the door – but that one bite was heaven!
OOh, and one other thing I decided to make were the yogurt covered blueberries (you know, the ones that Zappos’ Pinpointing app implied might lead to a need for a good workout: http://thepinterestwoman.wordpress.com/2012/08/29/two-of-my-favorite-things-in-one-zappos-pinterest/. The Skinny, these are SUPER tart. I mean, very tart. Mr. Darcy can hardly even eat them, haha. In theory they sounded great. I’m still going to bring them for a snack tomorrow. I’ll report back if they somehow become delicious overnight ;-)…here is my work station set up – it was actually kind of therapeutic to sit and dip the berries.
HAPPY EATING DEAR READERS!
P.S. I don’t know if anyone reads my comments, BUT I was honored with an award nomination on Thursday!!! I am so excited. I have to write out 7 things about myself that I want to share and I really want to give it some thought, BUT I didn’t want the nomination to go unnoticed. I’m HONORED. THANK YOU!!!