I thought a Girls Night movie list was tough, but this – my favorite holiday movies list – was like naming a child (or my puppy, hehe)…difficult! I cheated a bit last time – quite a long list- so this time, I’m limiting my list to TEN (#10 being my favorite!):*
1. Placeholder – I’m leaving #10 open ended – I know, I am already cheating! But hear me out! When I was planning out this list, I not only searched Pinterest for ideas, I also asked friends and family their favorite movies. I will admit, I wholly disagreed with some of them. Alas, I could really be convinced of watching ANY holiday themed movie if it meant enjoying a movie, in front of a decorated tree with a friend or family member. OH and I am NOT above a Hallmark Christmas movie**! I also learned (and know) the following friends and family would most likely watch these movies with me (even though they are not on my top movie list):
a. Charlotte – Polar Express
b. Carrie – Noel (she also loves LOVE ACTUALLY…see below)
c. My sis – Christmas Story (For some reason, this movie creeps me out. BUT I can appreciate any Christmas movie so, I would definitely watch this if it meant hangin’ with my sis and enjoying a holiday movie together)
d. Mr. Darcy – Scrooged. As you will see below, I am a big fan of the more whimsical and happy holiday movies. BUT, Mr. Darcy loves this one and, well, it is Christmas themed so, I would sit down and watch with him 😉
e. A Christmas Carol (Jim Carrey’s version) – OK, no, I draw the line here. Elizabeth and I went and saw the 3D version of this…first, my vertigo hated this. Second, my personality did not like the movie. SO, friends, if you want to watch this movie, I will probably try and sway you to one of the following:
2. All I Want For Christmas – OK, I admit, I haven’t seen this movie in YEARS. In fact, I saw it in the theaters and never saw it again. BUT I do remember absolutely LOVING it…I have been on the hunt to watch it again and recently at Mack’s 30th birthday party I saw it in his family’s movie collection…I guess I am not the only one. SO, my #10 is “All I Want For Christmas” because I MUST watch this again…maybe I will invite Mack over and require that he brings this movie with him 😉
3. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (Ron Howard’s version)– Sometimes Jim Carey surprises me and he did with this movie. I never thought it would be “my kind of movie,” but it was…I loved how absolutely dreamlike Whoville was and Martha Who is a wHOOT! I love everything about it, especially the movie’s theme song – Faith Hill’s Where Are You Christmas:
4. Miracle on 34th Street – How can you not love this movie?! I love both the original AND the most recent version. However, because I am forcing myself to pick, I’m choosing the modern version with the ADORABLE little girl from Matilda because when I saw this movie for the first time, I could relate to it better than the original – I SO believed in Santa and still, to this day, believe in the magic that believing in Santa brings to everyone at every age. So #5 is Miracle on 34th Street because I BELIEVE!
5. White Christmas – I love these old movies and especially ANYTHING Bing Crosby sings. I found this movie in my Grandma’s old TV room and my Dad told me I could keep it – this is the same day I took home Funny Girl for the first time! It just makes me think about my Grandma and Grandpa – they are the reason I love Christmas so much. They celebrated right – it was all about the family getting together, kids having a GREAT time and parents chitchatting away late into the night…OH and a DELICIOUS dinner. SO, my #5 is White Christmas. Not only for the amazing singing and dancing, or Bing’s rendition of White Christmas, but for all of the feelings of togetherness and holiday festivity that comes along with watching it! You can sing along to my favorite carol here: http://youtu.be/z7oVY0y9l0o OH! And I must share my absolute FAVORITE non-holiday song from this movie:
6. Love Actually – What can I say, this movie can be enjoyed ALL year long. However, it definitely gets me in the holiday spirit and is one that Mr. Darcy will watch with me…he loves Bill Nighy’s character…and I, of course, love everything about it.
7. Home Alone (& Home Alone 2) – The Home Alone movies with Macaulay Culkin are so festive and wintery, I just love them. If only for the soundtrack and the gorgeous holiday décor, these movies deserve to be on a top holiday movie list – I added #2 to this because I cannot deny the absolute beauty of Christmas Decorations in NYC during the holidays. Don’t you just want to live in that toy store!?
8. Santa Clause (& Santa Clause 2) – OK, I know I just did a two-fer above, BUT I really believe these sequels are interchangeable depending on the mood you are in. I absolutely LOVE the Santa Clause movies (SC3 goes a bit too far if you ask me). They are so festive and can make non-believers believe in the magic of the holidays. Now, if you just want a funny, feel-good holiday movie, the original Santa Clause is a GREAT one to pop on. However, if you are looking for amazing Christmas visuals and a winter fantasy world (aka the North Pole) go for #2 – don’t you want to taste that elf’s hot chocolate?!
9. National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation – While some argue the National Lampoon’s vacation to WallyWorld was the best of the NL series, I argue that Christmas Vacation is the BEST! Mr. Darcy and I just watched this on Sunday night, in front of the glow of our Christmas tree, and laughed…again. We even reround it a few times to watch our favorite parts over and over again, ha! So good. I should note, this is also a Darcy Family Favorite so knowing that he loves it, makes me love it all the more. (Sorry, no images or videos to share – there are just TOO many good ones. I may just have to do a separate post for this one ;-)).
10. ELF – I never thought a newer movie would be my number 1 but I cannot, CANNOT deny the absolute joy this movie brings to me. From the first scenes in the fantasyland of the North Pole “Bye, buddy…” & Buddy’s hilarious adventures in NYC, to the turn in the movie when everyone begins believing…OH and if that isn’t enough – Zooey Deschanel’s singing voice!?! This movie BRINGS IT on the holiday movie meter!
WOW, that was incredibly difficult, BUT I hope it will inspire a holiday movie night in your home soon!
HAPPY HOLIDAYS DEAR READERS!!!
*Oh don’t worry I, of course, found a way around limiting my list to 10 but I hope you agree that my caveats are pretty legit. 😉
**I recently recorded “Dear Santa,” thinking it was a Hallmark movie, but just found it online for SALE! It was SUPER cheesy…I totally watched the entire thing!