Hello Dear Readers,
I hope you all had a lovely weekend! This Friday marks my last day in the office until the New Year and I could not be more excited – CHRISTMAS IS HERE!!! Last year my colleague introduced me to “Christmas Smell”:
Simmer apple juice with cloves and cinnamon on the stove for about 30 minutes prior to guests arriving to your home…and boy does it make your house smell DELICIOUS!
However, that was my problem, it smelled delicious, but the floating ingredients made it gross to drink. SO, this year I pinned quite a few apple cider recipes in hope of creating my own “Christmas Smell” – that I could consume as well ;-). Over the Thanksgiving holiday my sister-in-law introduced her special apple cider recipe tweaks that I HAVE to share with you!
First and foremost, it is cooked in the slow cooker. This cooking technique gives your home a nice holiday smell AND, if your slow cooker has a “warm” button, you can enjoy it all night long at a piping hot temperature! The recipe is as follows:
Ingredients for ONE batch:
- 1-Bottle of APPLE CIDER
- 2 Teaspoons- WHOLE CLOVES
- 2 Teaspoons – WHOLE ALLSPICE
- 2 Sticks of Cinnamon
- A few thin slices of ORANGES (we used three to four each batch)
- Poor apple cider into slow cooker
- Drop cloves and allspice in a tea ball or cloth (keeping the spices from floating in the cider) into slow cooker
- Float cinnamon sticks and oranges on top of cider (at one point we ran out of oranges and put orange juice in. It actually worked! The straight orange is the best option, but good to have a last minute option just in case).
- Cook on LOW for 4 Hours
- Serve immediately or keep “warm” and enjoy throughout the night! (We went through it pretty quickly, so my sister in law just added more of the above ingredients throughout the night and allowed them to cook for about an hour before serving the second batch).
- FOR A LITTLE HOLIDAY KICK – add a shot of rum to your apple cider!
NOT ONLY does it make the house smell DELICIOUS, you can drink it too!!!
Happy Holidays dear readers! I hope you enjoy noming on this delicious drink this holiday!
UPDATE: My colleague sent me, what sounds like, a DELICIOUS holiday recipe and I definitely plan on making this over the holidays…and possibly incorporating my above apple cider!
2 Parts Vodka
1 Part Fresh Apple Cider
1 Part Ginger Beer
Squeeze of Meyer Lemon Juice
Stir/Garnish with a cinnamon stick, sized appropriately to your glass